Getting the whole family together has never been easier!
Holiday travel can be stressful, especially if it involves traveling with a pet. The following are some simple steps to help ensure your trip goes smoothly.
1. Prep an Emergency Travel Kit Being prepared on the road will save you time, money, and worry. Your kit should include vaccination records, medications (if necessary), vet records, and anything else you would need in case of a pet emergency.
2. Pack a Container with Your Daily Essentials Regardless of the length of your trip, you’ll want to stick close to your pet’s normal schedule. Bring enough food and treats for your time away to save you the frustration of having to track down their favorite products. Sticking with their regular food and routine will help minimize stomach upset.
3. Choose a High-Quality Carrier You'll need something for the car and your final destination. We really like the Suncast Deluxe Pet Carrier because of its spacious interior and ease of use. If your pet is not used to traveling in a carrier, do some practice runs to help them acclimate. It will pay off during your road trip!
4. Bring Some of Their Favorite Reminders of Home A favorite toy or blanket can make the ride more comfortable and familiar. Try and bring things that are easily washed and are not irreplaceable.
5. Make Sure Your Pet's Collar and Nametag are in Place You can go to your local pet store and print a duplicate tag with your destination information, and any other relevant contact info. You may also consider microchipping your pet.
Some Extra Tips
Freeze a second water bottle and keep it as a nice, cold backup in the car.
Never leave your pet alone in a vehicle, regardless of weather. Cold temperatures are dangerous, too.
Keep each serving of food you’ll need during the car ride separate and easily accessible for feeding.
With these simple tips, hitting the road with your best friend will be so much more fun!