Enjoy Some Autumn Warmth Right in Your Own Backyard
There’s a nip in the air, and the days are getting shorter—but that doesn’t mean it’s time to hibernate for the winter. Fall nights spent outdoors can be some of the most magical of the year. Prep your yard, patio, or deck the right way, and you can enjoy some beautiful comfy-cozy evenings outdoors and relish the autumn warmth!
Can I Put My Fire Pit on Grass or Wood?
Be sure to consider your surroundings before cooking up a batch of delicious s’mores over the fire pit! We highly recommend getting a specialized fire pit mat for both wooden decks and grass yards, as this will help protect your space from the heat. If you keep your fire pit in the yard, make sure to move it between uses (after it cools!) so that the grass doesn’t get stressed. Soaking the grass around the fire pit with water can also help with heat stress.
With your fire pit safely situated, it’s time to gather around and enjoy the warmth and light while you sit under the stars! For extra-chilly nights, have some warm blankets on hand. A deck box or Adirondack chairs with interior storage are both great options because they look great in any space and are weather resistant, so you can leave them outside all year long. Choosing lightweight materials is also a good call, so you can easily move the festivities from the yard to the deck or patio!
How To Decorate Your Outdoor Fall Space
Now that you know everyone is going to be safe and warm, it’s time to turn your mind to decorating. To keep things feeling cozy, go for a simple autumnal vibe. Lighting is a great way to add a feeling of warmth to an outdoor space—think rustic hanging lanterns or string lights. Plants are another great way to add a cozy autumnal feel to your outdoor space. Consider planting some fall flowers to add a pop of color or some homegrown veggies to create a vibrant cornucopia! Get inspired, or check out our fall regional gardening guides to learn more.
More Than S’mores
Fire pit? Check! Cozy Blankets? Check! Decorations? Check! The only thing missing from your perfect fall space is something to snack on! An outdoor entertainment center provides a central spot for all the s’mores fixings and more, so you and the family can enjoy your favorite fun fireside creations. Plus, it provides an excellent spot to serve up some hot cider!
Get in the spirit of Halloween by creating some spooky s’mores. Check out the recipe below for inspiration, and have fun in your fall outdoor space!
Fall S’mores Recipe
- Gingersnap cookies (or graham crackers)
- Chocolate bars (We prefer dark chocolate—but have fun experimenting with different flavors!)
- PEEPS® Halloween Marshmallows (You can use regular marshmallows, but PEEPS Halloween Marshmallows add a fun, spooky look!)
- Any other fixings you fancy (Think sprinkles, jelly, brown sugar—anything goes!)
- Prepare your fire. Wait until the fire has simmered down so that the logs are red hot embers rather than roaring flames. This will help prevent the s’mores from getting burnt.
- If you are using graham crackers, break in half horizontally to make two squares, then break your chocolate bar to fit the graham cracker half or the gingersnap.
- Put a marshmallow or a PEEPS Halloween Marshmallow on a stick and hold it over the embers. Slowly rotate it until it is nice and gooey.
- Assemble your s’mores: cracker, chocolate, marshmallow, optional fixings, cracker. Squish it together like a sandwich.
- Enjoy! Yummy!